Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Tarred Rivers

All that nonsense about the city heaving a collective sigh of relief was complete shit.

Everyone did heave a sigh of relief in the first 20 minutes of the rain. But then it continued to pour. And pour. And pour.

Then drains began to overflow. The streets, roads and underpasses began to flood. Water began to leak into the interiors of homes from the nooks and crannies of balconies (trust me, my dad and I spent almost 20 minutes trying to clean up water that was leaking into the sitting room!). People were stuck in traffic jams. 45 minute journeys stretched on for 3 hours. 1 hour to 1 and a half hour journey became 5 hour journeys. Mosquitoes swarmed the streets. A part of National Highway 8 looked like a river.

The whole damn city came to a standstill. I guess it's safe to say that I don't love the monsoon as much as I thought I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment