Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Woeful Ways of Microsoft

I risk prosecution by posting this but it's too good to pass up.
I recently replaced the hard drive in my laptop and had to reinstall Vista, all my old programs, yada yada.

Now I have a *legal* copy of Microsoft Office 2007 that came with my laptop. For some reason, this refuses to install on my machine. Neither does a (legally) downloaded installer work with my (legal) product key.

Finally, after wasting the greater part of a day mucking about, I download an *illegal* (here's the part where the lawyers get excited) copy of MS Office and lo! The damn thing installs right in!

So in the end, I had spent $149 on a copy of Office that refused to work for me and a cracked install did the job in less than 5 minutes.

I have since re-registered my 'cracked' Office with my legal product key.

Evidently the software pirates are better at coding installers than the programmers at a multi-billion dollar company.

Go figure.

(PS: Ximian lives in India and she wants a grant to go home and roam around her motherland. That puts Microsoft to shame.)

1 comment:

  1. Ximian is making use of the white man's abundant money in difficult economic times. Or atleast she is hoping to!

    Ximian must be commended for attempting such bravery.

    ReplyDelete